- Location: Lotus Soul Yoga, 8 Perron Street, St. Albert, AB (map)
- Studio: Non-Heated and Warm classes available with most being non-heated
- Style: Baptiste Power Vinyasa Flows, Traditional Hatha, Yin/Yang and Union (Baptiste and Traditional combination) classes offered
- Instructors: My most recent class was with Katherine Kunst
- Schedule: Schedule reflects both summer and fall/winter seasons with a variety of classes, running 3-6 classes depending of the day of the week. Classes offered at this location include Yin, Vinyasa Flow, Hatha, Beginner, Ashtanga inspired, Gentle Hatha, Restorative, Adventures in Core. Schedule can be found online here.
- Price: Single drop in is $17 with many other unlimited and punch type passes available. LSG offers one week unlimited for $30 to new students and offers a variety of passes, including reduced student & senior pricing. All passes are transferrable to any of their three locations (St. Albert, Downtown Edmonton & Whyte Ave, Edmonton)
Overall, I had a great experience! The St. Albert Lotus Soul Gym is a small but cozy studio on the second floor of a commercial building in the quaint downtown area of St. Albert, a suburb of Edmonton. The students of this studio are in large part regulars, and there is a real sense of community when you come to a class, with everyone greeting each other and chatting in the entry. The student level varies from beginner to advanced and while there are classes more tailored to beginners or advanced play, the instructors can knowledgeably navigate their classes to offer something for everyone, no matter their level.
I loved my class tonight with Katherine. We started with a short meditation focusing on grounding and setting your intention. I found the sequencing creative and fun with a focus on arm balancing and inversions. The class was well thought out, challenging, balanced, and offered much opportunity to explore through your own body and play with the asana, flowing naturally into different shapes. We built through variations of Svanasana, Chaturanga and Bakasana towards Pincha mayurasana, Sirsasana and Astavakrasana with variations thereof if the full posture was not available to everyone. I have also previously practiced with Katherine where her theme has been juicy backbends building towards peak postures such as Kapotasana and Chakrasana as well. Katherine has a very playful energy in her classes, and is very in tune with the students in the class. Her cueing is alignment focused and she combines aspects of the subtle body and deeper awareness throughout. I left with that “yoga high”, feeling fantastic! I would definitely recommend this class along with the St. Albert studio!
Have you been to Lotus Soul Gym? How about any of their three locations? Let us know in the feedback section below!
In my own practice and teaching, I love to play! Life doesn’t need to be so serious all the time and I believe that should reflect in your practice. I am drawn to adventurous and playful vinyasa styles showcasing creativity and exploration with an alignment focused foundation. I’m drawn towards a teacher who can laugh and create a safe, fun environment. I have also found much needed balance in my practice (and life!) with meditative yin-style practices that interweave subtle energy work.